Libya

On the continent of Africa

New Coronavirus case announced in Libya today – brings country’s total to 18

New Coronavirus case announced in Libya today – brings country’s total to 18

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 5 April 2020: Libya announced a new case of Coronavirus (Covid-19) today, bringing the total cases in the country to 18.   Libya’s official Coronavirus cases Date of announcement No. of cases No. of deaths 1 24 March 1 2 28 March 2 3 29 March 5 4 31 March 2 5 2 April 1 1 6 3 April 6 7 5 April 1 Total: 18 1   The country’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said that it had received a total of 31 samples to check and 30 samples turned out to be negative. The NCDC revealed no further details about the case in its statement as in their gender or location.
libyaherald, 2 days ago

Predicted: People and Culture

0

Six new cases of Coronavirus announced, bringing total in Libya to 17

Six new cases of Coronavirus announced, bringing total in Libya to 17

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 4 April 2020: Libya announced six new cases of Coronavirus (Covid-19) late last night, bringing the total cases in the country to 17. One death was announced on 2 April. The country’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said that it had received a total of 20 samples to check but 14 samples turned out to be negative. The NCDC revealed no further details about the cases in its statement as in their gender or location. This has not stopped Libyan media from announcing some as yet unconfirmed details about the cases.   Libya’s official Coronavirus cases Date of announcement No. of cases No. of deaths 1 24 March 1 2 28 March 2 3 29 March 5 4 31 March 2 5 2 April 1 1 6 3 April 6 Total: 17 1   The country’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said that it had received a total of 20 samples to check but 14 samples turned out to be negative. The NCDC revealed no further details about the cases [...]
libyaherald, 3 days ago

Predicted: People and Culture

0

First Coronavirus death in Libya announced

First Coronavirus death in Libya announced

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 2 April 2020: Libya announced its first Coronavirus (Covid-19) related death late tonight. The country’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) said the 11th Coronavirus case in the country was a an 85-year old woman and that it only became clear she had the virus after tests were conducted on her after her death.   Libya’s official Coronavirus cases Date of announcement No. of cases No. of deaths 1 24 March 1 2 28 March 2 3 29 March 5 4 31 March 2 5 2 April 1 1 Total: 11 1   The NCDC did not reveal in which city the case was from. With regards to Libya’s first patient announced on 24 March, a 73-year old man, the NCDC said that he was recovering well and that it was testing him again. It had also again denied reports originating from his family that he had fully recovered and that he had left Al-Hadba Al-Khadra hospital. Yesterday it had also reported that it had conducted 5 more tests on suspected [...]
libyaherald, 4 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0

New Chinese buses for long distance journeys arrive in Libya

New Chinese buses for long distance journeys arrive in Libya

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 1 April 2020: The Asahem Company for Public Transport announced yesterday the arrival of a batch of new buses for its planned local and international long-distance routes. On 26 March lasy year the company had signed a contract to import a possible total of 130 buses from China’s King Long company. A first batch of 35 ‘‘City bus’’ models for the new public transport network in Tripoli had arrived from China at Tripoli port at the end of August 2019. The city buses had been put into operation in various routes across Tripoli before the Coronavirus pandemic halted operations   First batch of Chinese-made public transport buses arrive in Tripoli   Express Passenger Transport Company to buy buses from Libya’s Tajura Truck and Buses assembly plant   First batch of public transport buses shipped from China   Libya signs contract with China’s King Long for 130 buses   New private sector fleet of Wasel school buses [...]
libyaherald, 6 days ago

Predicted: People and Culture

0

Libya announces 5 more new cases of Coronavirus, taking country’s total to eight

Libya announces 5 more new cases of Coronavirus, taking country’s total to eight

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 29 March 2020: Libya’s National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) announced today the confirmation of five new cases of Coronavirus (Covid-19). This brings the country’s total confirmed cases to eight. Libya’s official Coronavirus cases: Date of announcement Number of cases 1 24 March 1 2 28 March 2 3 29 March 5 Total: 8   The NCDC says the five new cases were all in the city of Misrata and were people that had come into contact with one of the positive cases announced yesterday. Seven others tested from the same group proved negative. Meanwhile, Libya’s Tripoli based and internationally recognized government extended the existing curfew to start from 2 pm to 7 am the next day. The announcement of further new Coronavirus cases in Libya and extended curfew comes as fighting continued between forces defending Tripoli and parts of the western region that are still under the control of the internationally [...]
libyaherald, 8 days ago

Predicted: People and Culture

0

EU and US call for Libya humanitarian truce to fight Coronavirus pandemic

EU and US call for Libya humanitarian truce to fight Coronavirus pandemic

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 28 March 2020: The European Union (EU) and the United States yesterday called for a humanitarian truce in Libya’s fighting in order for the country to focus on fighting the Coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. In its statement the EU said ‘‘The European Union and its Member States regret that the fighting has increased in Libya despite the international calls for a humanitarian truce to help contain the Coronavirus pandemic in the country. The challenging circumstances created by the Coronavirus pandemic make the need to halt the fighting in Tripoli and across the country even more urgent. We strongly condemn any attack against civilian population. We urge all the relevant Libyan actors to immediately stop the fighting and engage in reaching a political solution to the crisis. The leadership of the two parties should commit to the draft ceasefire agreement developed by the Joint Military Committee (“5+5”) in [...]
libyaherald, 9 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0

Serraj claims responsibility for failed military operation to take LNA-held airbase

Serraj claims responsibility for failed military operation to take LNA-held airbase

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 26 March 2020: Faiez Serraj, the internationally recognized Prime Minister of Libya, claimed responsibility for the failed military operation ‘‘Peace Storm’’ that forces aligned to his government carried out yesterday in an attempt to take the north western Wittia airbase held by the Khalifa Hafter-led Libyan National Army (LNA). The LNA claim they have repulsed the attack and conducted their own counter offensive taking several towns in the north eastern region, including the Zuwara and the Libyan-Tunisian border crossing, Ras Ejdair. The control over Zuwara and Ras Ejdair are being denied. In his statement accepting responsibility for the offensive as Commander-in-Chief of the (Western-based) Libyan Army, Serraj paid tribute to the ‘‘Libyan army forces and the supporting force (militias) that carried out their tasks today efficiently and efficiently through operation "Peace Storm". He stressed that with this offensive [...]
libyaherald, 11 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0

Libya’s first Coronavirus case confirmed last night

Libya’s first Coronavirus case confirmed last night

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 25 March 2020: Libya’s first Coronavirus (Covid19) case was confirmed late last night by the Health Minister of the internationally recognized government in Tripoli. He gave little details about the case and did not reveal his name. However, the head of the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Badr Al-Din Al-Najar, said in a later televised statement that the patient was a 73-year-old man who had returned from a visit to Saudi Arabia on 5 March. The man hailed from the western Libyan town of Aljmail. He revealed that the patient had a high temperature, respiratory infection and shortness of breath upon medical examination in a Tripoli hospital. Najar said the patient was in isolation and is now in a stable condition. He confirmed that the NCDC was conducting its follow-up procedures and tracing all those who the patient had interacted with since his return to Libya. Meanwhile, the Tripoli war continues with another night of [...]
libyaherald, 13 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0

Libya’s anti Coronavirus efforts continue; still no cases officially reported

Libya’s anti Coronavirus efforts continue; still no cases officially reported

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 24 March 2020: Libya’s apparent anti Coronavirus (Covid19) efforts continued across the country as a partial curfew kicked in in the west and south, and a 24-hour curfew was announced in the east. Security forces across the country have been out in a show of strength enforcing the curfew. Enforcement has varied from municipality to municipality. In Tripoli curfew breakers initially had their car documents confiscated and today they had their actual cars impounded. There has also been a nationwide effort to spray roads, buildings and markets with disinfectant in order to kill the virus in public places. There has also been nationwide media campaign by most government departments beyond the obvious Health Ministry and the Anti Infectious Diseases Department. There has also been quite a wide acceptance of social distancing, although again implementation varies from areas to areas. Most bakeries are not allowing the general public to [...]
libyaherald, 13 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0

UNSMIL concerned about increased kidnappings in Libya

UNSMIL concerned about increased kidnappings in Libya

Libya

By Sami Zaptia. London, 18 March 2020: UNSMIL today expressed its deep concerns over the recent increase in abductions and enforced disappearances in towns and cities across Libya conducted by armed groups with total impunity. It renewed its call for the full respect of international human rights law and international humanitarian law by parties to this conflict. UNSMIL reported that since April 2019, it has received reports of hundreds of enforced disappearances, torture, killings and displacement of entire families in Tarhuna city by the 9th Brigade “al-Kaniyat” of a wide variety of persons, including private individuals, state officials, captured fighters and civil society activists.  In particular, it reported that it has verified numerous summary executions at Tarhuna prison on 13 September by the 9th Brigade. UNSMIL has also received dozens of reports of enforced disappearances and torture of civilians, including, but not limited to, civil [...]
libyaherald, 19 days ago

Predicted: Politics

0